Pages

Labels

Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Read my lips; No new baby

A specter is haunting the Darwin household -- less frightening than the one that haunted Europe, but fairly daunting nonetheless: the specter of being OVERDUE.

Baby is sitting pretty this morning -- no contractions. I have a bit of a backache, but otherwise I feel like I could be pregnant for another week. (Knock on wood!) At my midwife appointment today we're going to discuss things like castor oil. At one point in time (read: before nine months pregnant) I thought that I wouldn't want anything to hasten baby along. Wouldn't it be nice, I thought, if my body did most of the work painlessly before hard labor started? Bull, I say now! Bring 'er on!

There's that scene in Courage Under Fire where Meg Ryan (the helicopter pilot in the first Gulf War) gets shot in the stomach (I think), and one of her companions asks her if she's all right.
"I gave birth to a nine pound baby, asshole," she tells him. "I think I can handle this."

0 comments:

Post a Comment