Pages

Labels

Sunday, March 19, 2006

In Which Darwin's Nationalism Is Defeated

I'm only 25% Irish (50% Mexican and 25% Britannic mutt) but on being invited to a 'guy night out' poker game at an old friends house, I figured I should show the flag by bringing some good Irish alcohol for all to share. I was sure that Guinness would be available aplenty, and after fasting much of the day I figured a glass of Jameson would lay me flat on my back pretty quickly, so I set off in search of Murphy's Irish Stout.

For those of you who don't spend your time thinking about quality beer (Pabst drinkers, this means you), Murphy's is an Irish stout in style, but less bitter than Guinness Extra Stout and thicker and maltier than the (to my taste somewhat thin) Guinness Pub Draught (the stuff in pressurized bottles and cans). Murphy's does not have the semi-divine properties of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter or Oatmeal Stout, but it's pretty solidly good stuff.

So I set out to HEB (our local central Texas supermarket chain, with a fairly decent beer selection). Huge displays of Guinness and Harp (why the Irish saw the need to create a bloody lager I can't imagine) but no Murphy's.

Undaunted, I tried the Twin liquors next door. No Murphy's. My anger grew and I tried World Market and two liquor stores. No Murphy's.

Now it was personal. I tried Albertsons, Randalls and two more liquor stores. No Murphy's.

By this point I was 45 minutes late for the party, so I gave up and headed on over empty handed.

What gives? Hasn't anyone heard that there's more than one brand of Irish stout? And while I'm complaining, why is it that everyone featured huge displays of Bass Ale for St. Patrick's Day? I don't deny that Bass is good, but after 600 years of fighting for our independence you'd think the bloody Brits could keep themselves to themselves one day a year...

0 comments:

Post a Comment