Pages

Labels

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mamet's Conservative Turn

The Village Voice is not known for publishing conservative manifestos, but then, David Mamet isn't your typical conservative or conservative convert. It was in 2008 (not exactly a time when people were blocking to the conservative cause) that Mamet wrote an essay published by the Village Voice entitled "Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'". Now Mamet has a book out about his political epiphany, The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture, and although I generally don't like current political conversion stories or manifestos, I confess myself curious to read it.

I went through a Mamet phase in college and read all of his plays that I could lay my hands on, and since he turned to movies I've been enjoying seeing him hit more of a balance between his characteristically stylized dialog and telling a story. While you don't get much spectacular dialog than Blake's rant in Glengarry Glen Ross (language warning: Mamet makes Quentin Tarantino sound like a schoolboy)

It seems to me that Spanish Prisoner is a better movie qua movie:

And from that point on Mamet's movies have generally balanced story and style rather than relying entirely on the latter.

Still, the author of Sexual Perversity in Chicago turns conservative? I feel like I have to read it just to find out what he's up to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment