Pages

Labels

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Don't We All Know Someone Like This?

From Crime & Punishment, Part Five, Chapter One:

[Luzhin] "I am not going on principle, not to take part in the revolting convention of memorial dinners, that's why! Though, of course, one might go to laugh at it.... I am sorry there won't be any priests at it. I should certainly go if there were."

[Pyotr Petrovitch] "Then you would sit down at another man's table and insult it and those who invited you. Eh?"

[Luzhin] "Certainly not insult, but protest. I should do it with a good object. I might indirectly assist the cause of enlightenment and propaganda. It's a duty of every man to work for enlightenment and propaganda and the more harshly, perhaps, the better. I might drop a seed, an idea.... And something might grow up from that seed. How should I be insulting them? They might be offended at first, but afterwards they'd see I'd done them a service."

0 comments:

Post a Comment