Pages

Labels

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Hail, hail, the gang's all here

Looks like the blogging gods are smiling upon us -- our site has transferred successfully to the "We're out of Beta!" stage. And Darwin has even gotten in a potshot at the ID movement already.

By the way, you all know that Darwin is a pseudonym, right? That's not actually our last name, though we've taken to calling each other "Darwin" and "MrsDarwin" around the house.

Life at the Darwin manor continues apace. Since we enjoyed it so much the first go 'round, I've started Babs* on Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. So far we've read about sad rams and mad cats and "see me eat". Babs seems to be taking to it. She's recognizing the letters she's learned and sounds them out when she sees them elsewhere. Our biggest problem is Noogs* trying to sit in on the lesson and show off by reading it herself.

There are talks here of starting a theater group for the homeschoolers in the area, and I've been tapped to direct. Anyone out there have any experience with putting on plays for the 5-10 age range? What sort of shows did you do? How often were the practices? I'd rather work with an older age range, but mothers with older children seem too swamped to be excited by putting together one more group activity.

Baby Darwin* is still a treat, of course. At 11 months of age, she can babble and clap and get around the room if she has something to cling to. She can also climb up stairs and stick her hand in the toilet. We've had to have the "shut the bathroom door, and for pete's sake flush the toilet!" talk with the girls a few times now. You know what I'm talking about.

I've been trying my hand at quilting, because of course my vast experience with hemming curtains with a jerky straight seam has prepared me for greater tasks. Note to beginners: if you must make a quilt, start with a baby quilt, not coordinated twin quilts for your daughters who have no blankets in the winter. Just sayin'. But one day I can tell my girls that their quilts have a part of me in them -- literally, as I've sewn my finger to the back of the quilt several times.

He didn't mention it, but Darwin had a birthday just recently. (Don't worry; he can still be trusted.) So if you remember Darwin, feel free to share your stories for the benefit of us all.

*Not her real name, of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment