Pages

Labels

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Do you like scary movies?

In my case, the answer is decidedly "NO". I don't enjoy being frightened, and I don't enjoy gore and guts and torture and nastiness. But I recently read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. It's a fascinating, enthralling read, but I just couldn't envision the house in my mind (like the characters, I kept getting lost in corridors). So I've placed the 1963 movie version The Haunting in my Netflix queue, and I'm both anticipating and dreading it.

I once read Misery by Stephen King, and though I wasn't terrified, I was horrified -- as in feeling a sense of horror at what was happening to the character. The Haunting of Hill House didn't horrify me, and it didn't necessarily terrify me either, but the author had a sure way of creating a sudden sense of dread when a moment before events had seemed perfectly normal. I'm curious to see whether the movie keeps the tone of the book, though from all the reviews I've read it seems to be a marvelous adaptation.

If this foray into scary movies proves survivable, I may branch out and see both The Changeling and The Innocents. If anyone's seen these and wants to comment on just how frightening they are, feel free. Meanwhile, I'm off to the library to see if I'm ready for more scary fare.

0 comments:

Post a Comment