Pages

Labels

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Suffering in silence

I find that morning sickness, like temptation, is best dealt with by firmly supressing the idea of it the moment it surfaces. Only by resolutely refusing to give in do I emerge victorious. If I start to waver ("Well, if I get sick now, at least it will be over with..."), it's all over, and I end up feeling disgusted. I can't always keep it under control, especially when I'm at home, but I can put myself a bit out of temptation's way by refusing to step into the bathroom until the urge has passed. The very proximity of a basin seems too powerful for a weakened system to resist. However, giving in doesn't make me feel better -- in fact, I always find myself wondering why anyone in her right mind would get herself into this situation. (I have these same thoughts during labor too, but that can't be stopped by refusing to think about it.)

The most successful strategy for avoiding unpleasantness is to stop talking immediately. This got us through a grocery shopping last week without incident, although it created the mildly odd effect of me having to communicate with Darwin by pointing and mumbling, "Hm." Better by far to look a bit silly than to succumb to the baser urges of nature, what? St. Francis threw himself into a thorn bush to avoid temptation; all I have to do to is stand still and be silent.

As Lent is a penitential season, perhaps I should just offer it up, but it does seem a bit uncalled for to have to give up foods twice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment