Pages

Labels

Thursday, March 29, 2012

After a Long Day: The Double Manhattan

It's crunch time at the office. Yesterday ran to 14 hours, the day before that to 12. (Today, hopefully, we wrap up on time and get a some good rest before our big presentation Friday morning.)

When you get home at 11PM after a day of data analysis fueled by take-out, beer or wine will not do. It's too late for these more meal-like beverages. Late night is the time for hard liquor.

I'd been wanting to mix up a Rye Manhattan ever since I picked up a bottle of (rī)1 whiskey. The size was appropriate to the evening, but was determined primarily that I was finishing off the last of my bottle of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth while maintaining something like the proper proportions.


4oz (rī)1 rye whiskey
2oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters

Shaken vigorously over ice (I believe Nick Charles specified in the first Thin Man movie that a Manhattan must be shaken to the Fox Trot, but I am not so virtuosically rhythmic) and then strained into a tumbler (no respectable cocktail class will hold 6oz).

Perfect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment