Pages

Labels

Monday, October 18, 2010

Incarnational Word Choice

Word selection is one of those odd things -- it can evoke a lot of meaning in ways that are hard to define, and so we often find ourselves having strong reactions to a phrase for reasons that are too instinctual to get at very clearly.  One of these, for me, is the phrase "Christ Event" when used to describe Christ's life, teaching, suffering, death and resurrection. 

Whenever I hear the phrase I have a strong negative reaction towards the speaker or writer, and the closest I can get to explaining why is to say that talking about "the Christ Event" rather than "the incarnation" or some other more traditional phrase suggests to me some sort of distancing from a traditional understanding of what the Incarnation is.

Yet, I'm unable to quantify what I even think is being rejected.  It just feels and sounds wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment