Pages

Labels

Friday, October 5, 2007

Pepys Show

Pepys is never above seeing a bad play, though he always regrets it afterwards. Yesterday (Oct. 4th, 1664) he wrote:
Thence after dinner to a play, to see “The Generall;” which is so dull and so ill-acted, that I think it is the worst. I ever saw or heard in all my days. I happened to sit near; to Sir Charles Sidly; who I find a very witty man, and he did at every line take notice of the dullness of the poet and badness of the action, that most pertinently; which I was mightily taken with; and among others where by Altemire’s command Clarimont, the Generall, is commanded to rescue his Rivall, whom she loved, Lucidor, he, after a great deal of demurre, broke out; “Well, I’le save my Rivall and make her confess, that I deserve, while he do but possesse.” “Why, what, pox,” says Sir Charles Sydly, “would he have him have more, or what is there more to be had of a woman than the possessing her?” Thence-setting all them at home, I home with my wife and Mercer, vexed at my losing my time and above 20s. in money, and neglecting my business to see so bad a play. To-morrow they told us should be acted, or the day after, a new play, called “The Parson’s Dreame,” acted all by women. So to my office, and there did business; and so home to supper and to bed.
So the question is: Will he venture out again to see "The Parson's Deame" and is this the Restoration equivalent of a female prison movie? Seems about Pepys' speed, goat that he is. Speaking of which, on the previous day he noted:
But meeting Bagwell’s wife at the office before I went home I took her into the office and there kissed her only. She rebuked me for doing it, saying that did I do so much to many bodies else it would be a stain to me. But I do not see but she takes it well enough, though in the main I believe she is very honest.
Now, now, Sammy-boy. You wouldn't want Mr. Bagwell taking such liberties with Bess, would you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment