Pages

Labels

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I've been summoned

I opened the mailbox on Monday to discover that I've been summoned for jury duty.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I feel strongly that it's a civic duty to sit on a jury. Were I ever to be on trial, I'd want a fair-minded jury of educated citizens on my panel. It's only fair to take my turn. I may not even be called to sit on a jury.

On the other hand, I'm the main caregiver to three small girls. I can easily get baby-sitting for one whole day, but what if I have to sit on a jury for a week? Darwin has to work, and although my friends are accomodating, it would be a hardship for them to have three extra children to watch for an extended period of time.

And then we're planning to leave on vacation a week from the date of my summons. I doubt there will be any big trials in Georgetown, TX, but I would be not at all pleased if I had to miss my brother's college graduation because I was sitting in a jury room.

Any thoughts from anyone who's served?

0 comments:

Post a Comment