Pages

Labels

Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Age Appropriate Reading

Quick bleg for people with recent experience with older kids than our local monkeys here. I agreed at work to pick up a couple "age appropriate books" for a nine-year-old-boy as part of a holiday charity drive. (Any kid who puts down on his Christmas wish-list that he wants books should be encouraged, I figure.)

I'd been thinking maybe a couple Narnia books (after all, the movie is coming out) and maybe some mystery or adventure stuff. (YA paperbacks are pretty cheap, so the approx $20 should leave plenty of room.) But now I'm wondering if my estimate of 9-year-old reading level is somewhat inflated. After some initial resistance I became a pretty over-achieving sort of reader in my youth, so although I'm virtually certain I'd read all the Narnia books by age nine, I'm not sure if that's well outside the curve.

Any suggestions for good reading for a nine-year-old boy?

0 comments:

Post a Comment